The VIAL of Life Program
We've partnered with the VIAL of Life program. It is completely free to residents in our district and brings a life saving capability when an emergency strikes. It is geared toward seniors and anyone who suffers from medical conditions. Below is a thorough explanation of this program.
What is the Vial of Life Program: It is a system that provides an additional method of providing emergency personnel with vital medical information concerning you and members of your household. When you are unable to communicate this system provides data concerning your health, medical conditions and even the medications you are currently taking. And, it is a fact that in stressful emergency situations it is very easy to forget or omit a critical piece of information that could be crucial in your treatment.
How does it work: It is a simple process really. Your kit contains decals, personal data form and instructions. After completing your form and assembling any other necessary items, you affix the decal to your front door, the other decal is placed on a plastic (ziplok type), items are placed inside and secure the bag to the front of your refrigerator. The door decal states where your Vial is located within the house. Below is some suggestions as to what to place in your Vial.
- When you get your kit make several copies, if possible, of the personal history form so updates can be made in the future. The form asks for personal information and you need only complete those entries you feel comfortable with. However, your medical history is critical and the basis for the program. In fact, having your Doctor complete the form for you is a good idea.
- A small picture is helpful to help responders positively identify you with your information.
- A copy of your latest EKG is also helpful to first responders. You can get a copy from your Doctor.
- If you have a living will then place a copy in the bag as well.
- Any special instructions such as a Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) statement would belong in the bag.
- You know what is important and if you want to place it or a copy in your baggie, please do.
How to obtain your kit: We have ordered a supply and awaiting their arrival. Once delivered we will announce their availability and you may come by the Fire Department between 9:00 - 5:00 to get your kit. If you can't come to the Department (don't drive, dependent on others, etc) let us know and we will make arrangements to have the kit delivered to you and, if necessary, assist you in preparing your kit. We will also have them available at all functions during the year at the Department. Again, this is all FREE to the public.